It’s no secret that I have quite a sweet tooth. It seems that every meal is better when rounded out with a little dessert. Of course, that’s a habit that could easily derail a healthy lifestyle. So I love to find and create the healthiest dessert recipes possible – and make something sweet part of my daily routine.
The recipe I’m about to share with you possibly takes the cake (no pun intended) for healthiest sweet. I will candidly say that if you are someone whose idea of dessert involves lots of buttercream icing, these may not satisfy you. But if you love the bittersweet flavor of dark chocolate, these will hit the spot and fit right into a healthy lifestyle. I began making these Coconut Carob Bites as a treat while on my cleanse because they are gluten-free, dairy-free, and optionally sugar-free. However, they are still super rich and delicious, starting with a nut butter base that can be customized to your liking. High in fiber, protein, and healthy fats, they are not just a dessert but a healthy snack for anytime.
Coconut Carob Bites
Makes 10-12 balls
• 2 heaping tbsp almond butter or cashew butter
• 2 heaping tbsp tahini
• 2 tbsp of carob powder or cocoa powder
• 2 tbsp chia seeds
• 1/2 cup of unsweetened, dried shredded coconut
• 20 drops stevia liquid, or about 2 tbsp of honey, agave, or liquid sweetener of choice
• 1/2 tsp of salt
• 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
• additional 1/4 cup shredded coconut for rolling balls
• Food processor
1. Combine all ingredients (except the coconut for rolling) in a food processor and blend until well-combined. The mixture should be an even, thick paste.
2. Prepare a small plate with about 1/4 cup of shredded coconut and unplug the food processor.
3. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the mixture and roll into about 1 inch balls using your hands (just like making cookies).
4. Gently roll balls in coconut to coat. Place them on a plate or in a tupperware container, not allowing them to touch.
5. Refrigerate balls for at least half an hour to allow them to firm up, or place them in the freezer for 10 minutes if you want to eat them sooner. Enjoy without worries and store in the fridge!